Now only 4 teams remain in the South region, so who are the best players and coaches find out below. Also what is hot and cold about each team. Later in the week I will give you my picks for this game.
Top 10 players
1. Anthony Davis (Kentucky)- Davis will be the Player, Freshman, and Defensive Player of the Year.
2. Michael Kidd Gilchrist (Kentucky)- Despite struggling in the first two games; he is still the second best freshman in the country.
3. Cody Zeller (Indiana) -Zeller is what Indiana has been lacking: a dominant low post scorer.
4. Tu Holloway (Xavier)- Holloway has had a up and down season but he is hot right now.
5. Perry Jones III (Baylor)- Has ton of talent but needs to put it all together.
6. Terrence Jones (Kentucky)- If he puts his mind to it he could be a lot higher on this list.
7. Christian Watford (Indiana)- A very versatile big men that can score in multiple ways
8. Pierre Jackson (Baylor) – One of the quickest guards out there.
9. Doron Lamb (Kentucky)- One of the best pure shooters in the country
10. Mark Lyons (Xavier)- Lyons and Holloway give Xavier one of the best backcourts in the nation.
Ranking the Coaches
1. John Calipari (Kentucky)- He has done everything but win and title. He can recruit, but can he lead a team to a title?
2. Tom Crean (Indiana)- Crean rebuilt the Indiana program the right way, and know that he has the players who can see he is one heck of a coach.
3. Scott Drew (Baylor) – What he has done to rebuild the Baylor program is short of remarkable.
4. Chris Mack (Xavier) – One of the best young coaches in the game, maybe in ten years his name will be a top this list.
What’s hot and cold?
Hot: Guards Marquis Teague and Doron Lamb are playing their best basketball of the season right now. Teague averaged 18 points in the first two games while Lamb averaged 16. Anthony Davis is always on fire.
Cold: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist struggled in the two games in Louisville. In the last game against Iowa State he only scored 2 points.
Hot: Three point shooting; the Hoosiers shot 50 % from three in their two tournament games. Cody Zeller and Christian Watford both averaged 15 points in the two games.
Cold: Turnovers the Hoosiers committed 22 Turnovers in the win over VCU. Also defense the Hoosiers field percentage defense in the two games combined was 47 %
Hot: Tu Holloway had somewhat of a down season, but not in the tournament he is averaging 23 points in the NCAA tournament. Kenny Frease had a career game last time out scoring 25 points.
Cold: Mark Lyons averaged 15 points per game in the regular season in two tournament games he is only averaging 7.5. Also Xavier has committed more turnovers than assists in the NCAA tournament.
Hot: Brady Heslip just went off from three this weekend. In two games Heslip combined to make 14 three pointers, and only missed 8 three pointers. Also in the two games the Bears were a combined plus 22 on the glass
Cold: For a future NBA lottery pick Perry Jones III really had a disappointing first two games. In the two games he averaged 4.5 points per game and only shot 4 of 14 from the field.
- Category: NCAA Basketball